Congratulations to our BHS students for receiving a Community Service Letter for their commitment to serving Bettendorf High School and the greater community during the 2015‐16 school year.
|9th Grade||10th Grade||11th Grade||12th Grade|
|Sarah Canfield |
|Mason Chin |
|Kendra Bries |
BHS Letter in Community Service
Students who meet the following criteria in the area of Community Service will be awarded a letter. All students in grade 9 - 12 are eligible to apply and can earn a letter. Questions may be directed to the BHS administration (563) 332-7001.
The two levels of awards:
- Community Service Letter - 50 hours of service earns the student the community service letter
- Service Pin - 100 hours of service earns the student the community service pin
20% of the required service hours to earn a letter must directly benefit Bettendorf Community School District (ie: 50 hours = 10 hours from BCSD). These hours must be completed through a BHS club or organization or receive prior approval from BHS administration.
- Reflection Paper - A 1-2 page written reflection on the experience of the community service is required.
- Digital Evidence - Evidence (ie: pictures, video) of student doing service (optional).
- To be recognized in the Service Letter awards ceremony, all hours must be documented and submitted prior to March 31, 2017.
- How should community service hours be recorded? Use the online Google form to track service hours. Students will be required to login using their school issued Gmail account. All volunteer hours recorded must be verified by the organization where service is performed or by an adult supervisor (if finding it difficult to confirm for summer & fall, please see an administrator for assistance).
- Reflection Paper: Reflection papers should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and grade level in the title. Send via Google Docs with view rights only.
The purpose of the paper is to demonstrate understanding of the agency or issue of interest by answering the following questions:
- What did you expect to experience before you began volunteering and how did your expectations differ from your actual experiences?
- How did you serve? Describe your thoughts and feelings at specific times as you served.
- Were there ethical issues that you encountered?
- What new skills, knowledge and/or understanding have you gained?
Service Letter Application: Complete the BHS Service Letter application and submit with a verified record of hours served, reflection paper, letters of recommendation (optional), and digital evidence (optional) of student performing service when all requirement have been completed.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who can participate?
All Bettendorf High School students grades 9 - 12.
Where can I volunteer?
There are many ways to volunteer in the community through school, churches, hospitals, non-profit agencies, nursing homes, parks, etc.
How are hours spent volunteering on a mission trip, as a camp counselor or on a volunteer vacation counted?
Volunteers should only count hours actually spent doing service up to 12 hours per day for mission trips, camp counseling, or volunteer vacations.
Can I count my planning and organizational hours from club meetings?
No. Only hours spent doing actual community service at the event can be counted towards your Service Letter.
Can my hours of community service be carried over to the next school year?
Yes. Hours earned after March 31, 2016 will carry over into the 2016-2017 school year.
What else DOES NOT count?
- Travel time to and from service activities
- Hours spent sleeping during overnight service trips or events
- Unpaid internships with for-profit organizations
- Court mandated community service