BHS COVID-19 Update - March 18
Mar 18, 2020
Dear BHS Parents/Guardians:
These certainly are very strange times. I want to share some preliminary information with the understanding that the COVID-19 situation is fluid. As this is a public health crisis, changes are rapidly occurring. Here is a summary of important information for BHS parents/guardians/students:
- The Bettendorf Community School District is closed through Sunday, April 12. School is scheduled to resume on Monday, April 13.
- All BHS activities, events, practices, clubs, and rehearsals are canceled.
- Students should not congregate on school grounds at any time during the school closure. It is imperative that we all follow the CDC Guidelines, practice social distancing and remain at home as much as possible.
- When school does resume there will likely be adjustments to the Wednesday early dismissal schedule and the end of the school year which may be extended up to and including June 12, but not beyond that date.
- We are monitoring the guidance from the College Board regarding AP exams. There is an option to push the exams back a couple of weeks but we have not yet been provided any guidance about refunds for those who choose not to take the AP exam. More information is scheduled to be released on Friday.
- Note: If you have already completed this survey, please do NOT submit it again. Bettendorf & Pleasant Valley Community School District families who would like to receive meals during the school closure related to COVID-19 are asked to complete the Bett Schools Free Meal Survey. Please respond by Thursday, March 19, 2020.
- District staff will not report to school the week of March 23rd because of the planned school year extension. Decisions about what learning supports we may be able to provide students will be announced next week. Within those plans, you will also receive information about gaining access to student lockers.
- Prom and the After Prom Event (APE) is scheduled for Saturday, May 16 and we intend for that event to take place as scheduled.
- Under the current closure schedule, graduation will still take place on Sunday, May 31 at 1:00 PM.
- During this closure the BHS custodial crew is working diligently to thoroughly clean and disinfect all routinely touched surfaces – light switches, student desks and chairs, door handles, computer keyboards and mice, locker dials, phones, drinking fountains, all restroom handles and counter surfaces, etc. These same steps are being taken in all district buildings. Our District custodial staff has been fantastic!
Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns – firstname.lastname@example.org or 332-7001. District-wide messages with additional information and resources will be forthcoming. Please read those messages in their entirety.Your continued support of and partnership with BHS will be vital to providing assurance to all students that we will navigate these times together in ways that best support them.
Joy M Kelly, Ed.S.