Unexpected Passing of Mr. Bonnstetter

Unexpected Passing of Mr. Bonnstetter

Sep 20, 2020

BonnstetterKeith.JPG

Dear Parents and Guardians:

It is with the heaviest of hearts that I inform you that Bettendorf High School teacher Keith Bonnstetter died unexpectedly this morning. Keith was out for a run this morning, collapsed and attempts to revive him were unsuccessful. It is with the permission of Keith’s family that I share this information. Keith has been a Spanish teacher at BHS since 2001. He loved his students, he loved his colleagues and he loved teaching. Keith was a positive, compassionate and talented presence on our campus and he will be missed dearly by all of us. On behalf of our administrative team and staff, I extend my condolences to Keith’s family, his colleagues and his many students who treasured him and affectionately called “Bonn.” Keith is survived by his wife, Marcia, his daughter Claire, his parents, two brothers, a sister, seven (7) nieces and nephews and his beloved dog.

Many students and staff have been and will be, affected by this tragic news. I thought it was important that you know about this so you can talk to your child about it before tomorrow. BHS will provide grief support for all students and staff at school tomorrow and Tuesday. Students are welcome to come to campus either (or both) day as needed, regardless of their learning model or cohort day. Bettendorf High School counselors will be available to meet individually or in small groups with students. Note: School pictures scheduled for tomorrow and Tuesday have been postponed.

The links below will take you to resources that will help you assist your child during this difficult time.

How to Help a Grieving Teen
Helping Children Cope After a Traumatic Event
How Do I Talk to My Child About Trauma?

Keith’s unexpected death is painful for all who knew him, especially his young students. It is for this reason that we especially want you to know about our care and support for them. I also think it’s important that our students and families know that their staff is hurting, too. I am confident that we will all come together to support each other during this time but I do ask for additional grace for staff right now. If you have any concerns about your child’s reaction to this loss, we will make every effort to provide support. Please call 332-7001 or email me at jkelly@bettendorf.k12.ia.us with any need you or your child have at this time. Information regarding arrangements for Keith will be shared when that becomes available, We offer our heartfelt sympathy to the Bonnstetter family and all of Keith’s students, colleagues and friends.

Sincerely,

Joy M Kelly, Ed.S.

Principal

Services

Rosary: Friday, September 25 3:30 PM at Halligan-McCabe, 614 N Main Street, Davenport, IA

Visitation: Friday, September 25 4:00 PM - 7:00 PM at Halligan-McCabe

Funeral Mass of Christian Burial: Saturday, September 26 at 11:00 AM at St. Paul the Apostle Catholic Church, 916 East Rusholme Street

The Mass will be live streamed (will share link later), but people are welcome to attend in person.

Tags: